Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blogger Idol: Because #writersarethenewrockstars

Confession: I love American Idol.

I was a freshman in college when I sat around with my friends watching as Kelly Clarkson stood under her confetti shower and tearfully sang her coronation song, "A Moment Like This," and I have been hooked ever since. I've sat through the good (anything by Jessica Sanchez), the bad (anything by Jacob Lusk), the downright horror (think, anything by John Stevens or Sanjaya Malakar), and the absolutely transcendent (think, Melinda Doolittle's "My Funny Valentine," Haley Reinhart's "House of the Rising Sun," Adam Lambert's "Mad World," and Candice Glover's "Lovesong).

I love every single thing about it, judges and all, and I will continue watching it until the show breathes its last, dying breath.

So when I heard that there was a writing competition created in the image of American Idol, I had no choice but the check it out. And what I found was rather spectacular.

It's called Blogger Idol, and it goes like this. The contestants are bloggers, who audition by submitting the blog post they think best reflects who they are and what their blog is about. The judges narrow it down to a top twelve, who compete weekly using writing prompts. Every week someone is eliminated until one blogger is left standing.

And what do we win, you might ask? All kinds of fabulous things from Amazon gift cards, to gifts certificates for blog management, Pinterest management and mobile accessories are up for grabs.

Want to join in the fun? Come check out Blogger Idol at http://blogger-idol.com/, on twitter at @bloggeridol, and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bloggeridol.

I may not have a singing voice to rival Dame Clarkson, but I can write. So here goes nothing.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, you're so perfect for Blogger Idol! I couldn't possibly maintain that schedule, but you have a cheerleader in me if you get picked... which duh, you should! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! It was so fun!! And it really challenged me. I'm glad you're in it to win it, dawg!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to follow your journey through Blogger Idol! I remember IceScream Mama's wild ride last year! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete