Thursday, August 8, 2013

National Read-A-Romance Month


I have been remiss. 

It turns out that this month is National Read-A-Romance Month, and I didn't even know about it. I guess that, in my world, every month is read-a-romance month, but still. An entire month celebrating this wondrous genre of popular fiction?

Count me way in.

If you have been reading this blog for more than two minutes, you know that I just love romance novels.

I was fifteen when I read my first one. I picked up a Nora Roberts book that my mom had left on the coffee table, read the entire thing in a single sitting, scoured her bookshelves for more, and began a love affair that has lasted for almost two decades. I have been reading romance novels for half my life. These are the books that bind me to the women in my family. They are the stories that comforted me on my first night of college, offered me an escape from a very sad summer, gave me sanity when I felt like everything was in chaos, and made my brand new house feel like home.

And I know that there are millions of women around the world who feel the same way. We are teachers, lawyers, doctors, mothers and more. We come from every demographic, every state in the country, and around the worldWe read romance novels for every reason and no reason at all. We relish the stories, delight in the characters, and anticipate the happy - and always satisfying - ending. 

Some people might say that these books are something to mock and something to be ashamed of. But I'm not ashamed. I am loud and proud about my love of romance. Because what in the world could be shameful about stories filled with love and hope and vulnerability and dreams?

One of my most favorite authors of all time, the sublime Susan Elizabeth Phillips wrote yesterday that, "life is too short to make a habit of reading depressing books."

I couldn't agree with her more. 

So join me, Bobbi Dumas - the founder of National Read-A-Romance Month, and millions of women around the world, as we celebrate these books that we hold so dear. And if you've never read a romance before, this month is a great time to start. So pick one up, meet some new characters, and enjoy their journey to love.

I promise, you won't be sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in! I'm writing one too. It's harder than it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. My name is Peach. And I'm also a lover of romance novels.

    ReplyDelete