Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Witness


Any book review that I have ever given has pretty much gone as follows: call mom, call Sister K, call Sister L, e-mail best friend R (my loyal, romance-loving soul sisters). "I just read a new romance. It was amazing. Please read it. You'll love it." End of review.

I understand and appreciate that not everyone shares my view on romance novels. Some people think they are trashy (they're not, if you read the right ones). Some people think the writing is bad (It's not, if you read the right authors). And some people just downright can't stand them (this is a viewpoint I have a hard time understanding. Seriously. They are awesome. Give it another try. There's something for everyone. I'll recommend a good one). For this reason, when I started this blog, I decided not to do book reviews. Also, because I love every single book by Nora Roberts and SEP, without exception, any review that I wrote would probably not offer much in the way of literary critique.

And seriously, who needs literary critique when it comes to the books we love? Isn't it enough to just enjoy the books? Do we have to dissect plot, character development, and ending? Pretty futile when it comes to romance novels, since my reviews would be something like the following:

Plot - Amazing
Character development - Amazing.
Ending - Happy. Amazing.

All that aside, I am reading a book right now that I simply have to share with you.

I have a little tradition when it comes to Nora Roberts books. By tradition, I mean, I buy them the day they come out. Without exception. Whether they arrive at my bookstore in hardcover or paperback, I buy them. Always. If I don't buy them that day, I feel a rising sense of panic when I walk past a bookstore and see them, shiny and bright, in the window. I feel inexplicably unhinged, knowing that there is a story out there, a brand new story by my favorite author, that is not yet gracing my bookshelves. I don't always read them the day I buy them, but buy them I do. Right away.

Nora Robert's new mystery/romance, The Witness, was no exception. It came out last Tuesday. And I bought it. With several other books in my queue, I didn't start it until Sunday. But once I started it, I couldn't stop. I read late into the night on Sunday. I read yesterday on the way to the subway. On the subway. And late last night.

The story was gripping. The characters complex, layered, and really fun. The ending satisfying. And happy. Always happy. It was one of the best I have read. Those of you who know me, know that is not something I say lightly.

Nora, my girl. You've still got it.

So even though I don't like to give reviews, I have to give this one. Here goes.

I just Nora's new romance, The Witness. 

It was amazing. 


Please read it. 


You'll love it
.

End of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment