Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Picture of Her. A Picture of Us.


It was one moment in an impossibly hectic day. My wedding day. Me. Big White Dress. Surrounded by cousins. Sisters. And our grandma.

The photographer arranges us. Tells us where to stand. Where to position hands and feet and flowers. It seems like the millionth picture of the day. Cheeks hurt from smiling. I am wishing pictures were over. I want to get on with the day. My wedding day. I am anxious to see him. Excited to see him. So excited. He has not seen me in my dress yet. He won't until these family pictures are over. And they drag. On and on. Until I am a quivering mess of nerves and excitement and anticipation. Because today. Today, a new part of my life begins.

But first.

"Lean in" the photographer tells us. "Lean towards your grandma." So we do. And I am so happy that we did. That we took this picture. The same picture we had taken twice before. At two other family weddings. But this one was different. So very different. Because in 3 short months, she would be gone.

And we would gather together once more. To remember. To cry. To smile through our tears as we talked about the woman who gave us life, and love, and laughter, and memories. As we said goodbye.

There have been two more family weddings since mine. And twice more we stood. Surrounded by cousins. By family.

"Lean in" the photographer has told us twice more. "Lean towards each other." So we did. We leaned in towards each other, and towards an empty space that will never quite be filled. An empty space that holds memories of strength. Of a good life. Of a life well lived. Of family. And of love.



Today's post is part of the Momalom Five for Five. The topic is Pictures.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my...I'm almost in tears, because I know how precious photos like this are. And that leaning in together is the best part of family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, Welcome. I agree that leaning in together is the best part of family. We started this tradition when my sister got married six years ago, the first wedding on either side of my family. One picture from each side. A grandma, and all of her grandchildren. So now, at each wedding, we take one minute, and lean in together. Lean on each other. And the photographer snaps a picture. And makes us a memory. I hope you'll keep reading!

      Delete
  2. Lean in toward each other. I love that. We should all do that more. Every day. So glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, in an interesting way, taking those pictures has made us all closer. Has taught us how to depend on each other, and how to lean on each other. Pictures are powerful. Thanks for making them one of your Five for Five topics. Looking forward to linking up again tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. The simplest gestures -- lean in -- are the most powerful, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacia, Thanks for reading. I agree that the simplest gestures are the most powerful. That our simple gesture of "leaning in" always comes amid the insanity of a wedding day makes it even more powerful and significant.

      Delete
  4. Lean in...I haven't had one of those pictures with my family in years! I chose to live in a country half a world away and I learn about festivities through Facebook and emails. I see my mom, cousins, aunts and uncles all leaning in for the family shot and my heart aches. My choice took me away from them, away from these family pictures. And sometimes it hurts. So, lucky you for having these chances so often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine, We definitely know, and don't take for granted, how lucky we are to all live (relatively) close to each other. Hoping you get a chance to lean in for a picture with your mom, cousins, aunts and uncles soon.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a beautiful, bittersweet memory. I have a picture of myself with all four of my grandparents at my college graduation and I treasure it beyond all reason. Within a year one was gone, and within two years two. We can never know, so I guess the moral is to lean in while we can. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Lindsey. Life is hectic, and twists and turns without warning. I think the best we can all do is lean in while we can, and treasure the memories that brings.

      Delete